Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Response #2

Paint Mine
Pink, purple, blue, red, green, and orange. Do colors have a certain gender side they have to be on? There are many children and boys who have a favorite color to be pink. Many children just go through a phase. But when I see a high school football team wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awarness Month I give them respect. Too many people in this world judge quickly on others.
When I hear stories like "my son wanted his nails painted", or "my son wanted to wear make-up around the house" I think it is fine to let them do that. If you are a stay at home mom, your child will end up getting into your daily routine or habits. For most kids it is just a simple phase they are going through. On NBC Today Cheryl Kilodavis, and her five year old son Dyson talk about how he dresses up in tutus and sparkles. Dyson calls himself a Princess Boy. "This is clothing, this is attire and children at a very young age studies show that one of the first independent things that they feel proud of and get self confidence from is selecting their clothes"(Cheryl Kilodavis). She may agree to let her son go out in public dressing the way he does, but if it were my son I would only allow it around the house.
In the article Make-up and Hot Pink Toenails- Not Just a Girl Thing it states "a high school football player is kicked off the field for wearing pink cleats during Breast Cancer Awarness Month"(Klein). I personally think that it is wrong to do that . If a guy wants to support for breast cancer, then let them. They may have a family member who is battling, survived, or lost their battle to breast cancer. There are a lot of men who stand behind those with breast cancer, Marc Heyison being one. "Men are incredible caregivers when given the opportunity. But they are undeserved in education about support"(Heyison). There are too many people who are out there judging others when they don't know what that person may be going through.
I have a three year old nephew named Brenson. He come to me on occasion when I am painting my nails saying "paint mine". I wouldn't paint them any bright color or even his entire finger nails. The only time I do them all is it it is a clear coat, but he just laughs it off. He also has a tendency to get in my closet and get my high heels and walk around in them. Another thing he loves is baby dolls. Many people don't let their kids play with baby dolls but when he plays with one he treats it like his own child. He understands what is for girls and what is for boys.
Overall I think many people should not judge on what a child or boy does or wears. Be careful what you say or do to them. It can hurt them emotionally in the long run. Let the kids be kids, and let the boys support others. For myself I think the colors can be used on either gender.

http://bigjournalism.com/amarlow/2011/01/04/nbcs-today-cheers-cross-dressing-five-year-old-boy/


No comments:

Post a Comment